Summer Holidays

Finding the best value accommodation on your holiday has in the past made me feel like I needed a second vacation to recover, writes Jack Nunn.

In the film 'Up in the air', George Clooney's character makes an interesting observation. "Think of the most memorable moments in your life," he says, "were you ever alone? Or were you with your family?"

I stopped and found myself searching through the corridors of my mind, seeking what my 'most memorable memories' indeed were. And I realized that they were all from various family Summer holidays. Playing on the beach in Cairns, waking up before sunrise in Alice Springs to catch a glimpse of the sun as it kissed the red peak of Uluru. Sitting on my dad's lap as he let me steer the car on a deserted paddock in country Victoria.

The Summer holiday is a rare quantity in life. One week in January can literally forge a lifetime of memories, experience and stories. It is such an important part of being Australian that we are obliged to do our best to make the absolute most of it. And usually the main restriction on this is money.

Whether putting the bags in the boot and driving up the coast, stopping regularly to sample the best of Australia's beaches, or flying to a faraway destination in this Great Southern Land: you'll need a place to stay. And since the advent of budget airlines and efficient hybrid engines, hotel & motel accommodation has become the most significant cost in allowing you to make the most of your Summer adventure.

Finding accommodation and then booking it is a feat in itself. But then trying to work out if you have paid more than you should have is more difficult still. So, if you allow me to re-enter the corridor of my mind, I'll attempt to point out some things I've picked throughout my various Summer holidays.

1) Book ahead.

Even the most remote town in Australia - somewhere that you may think NO-ONE else would have even heard of - will be packed during the Summer. It's just the way it is. Being nomadic is in our blood and we all love going 'walkabout' over the Summer, so make sure you book ahead rather than just assuming you'll find vacancy in the city you're headed to. Booking online is optimum.

2) Most hotels charge booking fees.

Think of it as their way of trying to maximize their own holidays. If you aren't careful, you may be paying 15% extra just for being vigilant.

3) It's a jungle out there.

Just ask any travel agent - actually, don't. They'll only confuse you even more. There's such a plethora of accommodation options that it's easy to get disoriented and confused.

But I've found an apt solution to the above 3 considerations. This solution has enabled me to genuinely make the most of my holidays by ensuring I get the best value-for-money accommodation.

Motel Links is an online booking site like no other. It allows you to search for hotel and motel listings in any location across Australia - and then they connect you to the supplier directly. This means that you don't incur a booking fee and you aren't charged a commission. And the convenience of use means that you can book efficiently, then spend the rest of your time thinking of ways to have fun on your vacation.

I've found it to be easily the best option for holiday accommodation booking. But better still - my children have had the best Summer holidays of their lives and will have those memories forever.

Get the best rates for your Summer holidays by looking at http://www.motellinks.com.au/, If you find a cheaper rate on a listed hotel, they'll beat it by 10%!


Original article

No comments: